Please see our Child-on-Child Abuse webpage here
Please see our Online Safety Policy on our School Policies webpage here
Please see our Safeguarding webpage here
Please see our Safeguarding Early Help webpage here
Support parents and carers with #CEOPSummerSafety this summer break 2022
Over the summer we will be covering a different online safety topic each week on our social media channels, helping parents and carers to learn more, talk to their children and take action together. Posts will support parents and carers with articles, activity sheets and videos on the following topics:
- Cyber security
- Social media
- Live streaming
- Sharing images online
- Watching videos online
When it comes to online safety we all want our children to be safe. In reality being safe on the internet can be difficult. As parents what can you really do?
Internet of Things (IoT)
What is the Internet of Things? What does it mean for me and what do I need to be aware of to help protect me and my family? Find out an explanation here.
Safer Online Safety Tips for Parents/Carers:
- Talk to your child about their favourite sites, this can lead into a chat on online safety. Keep talking about it! As your child gets older you will need to broach topics like sexting, grooming etc.
- If your child uses social media, talk to them about who can see their information, their privacy settings, how to block and report unwanted things they see
- Encourage them to only be friends with people they know in real life
- Remind your child that showing respect for others online is just as important as showing it offline. Encourage them to think before they post and encourage them to show positive behaviour online
- If they see, or are a victim of cyberbullying, encourage them to save or screenshot all evidence
- If something they have seen or been sent is troubling them make sure they know to tell an adult that they trust if something upsets them online
- Consider parental controls and filtering at your home and also on your child’s portable internet enabled devices
- Encourage your child to follow the NSPCC Pant Rule https://www.nspcc.org.uk/keeping-children-safe/support-for-parents/underwear-rule/
If you still need more information here are some useful help sheets from the CEOP website:
You can also find support and information on the ChildLine website.
Select the logo below to access the Parentzone site that has expert information to help children and young people stay safe:
Parentzone - January 2022
Please see the Parentzone information about the following: What is Genshin Impact – and what do you need to know?
Safer Internet Day 2020
Other Useful Website Links
- CEOP - https://www.ceop.police.uk/Safety-Centre
- CEOP THINK U KNOW - https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/
- CEOP THINK U KNOW Concerned about your child?: Abuse and Exploitation - https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/Concerned-about-your-child/worried-your-child-is-being-sexually-abused/
- CEOP THINK U KNOW Concerned about your child?: Sex and relationships - https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/Concerned-about-your-child/worried-about-your-child-the-internet-and-sex/
- CEOP THINK U KNOW Live Streaming - https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/professionals/resources/live-streaming/
- CEOP THINK U KNOW Parents Site- https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/
- CEOP THINK U KNOW Reporting to social media sites - https://www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/articles/Reporting-to-social-media-sites-/
- Childnet’s Five Festive Tips for Giving Technology Gifts this Christmas - www.childnet.com/blog/childnets-five-festive-tips-for-giving-technology-gifts-this-christmas-
- Childnet International Parents and Carers - http://www.childnet.com/parents-and-carers
- Children's Safeguarding Assurance Partnership - document
- CSM - 5 Tips for dealing with online bullying - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBX4rYAAS54
- cyber[smart:] - https://esafety.gov.au/
- Digital Parenting - http://www.vodafone.com/content/digital-parenting.html#
- Internet Matters.org - https://www.internetmatters.org/advice/
- Lancashire Constabulary - https://www.lancashire.police.uk/
- Lancashire Safeguarding Children Board - Online Safeguarding for Parents & Carers - http://www.lancashiresafeguarding.org.uk/online-safeguarding/parents-and-carers.aspx
- See the latest advice for Summer online safety from the 'Lancashire Safeguarding Board' here.
- LSCB Pokemon GO: Top Tips for Parents and Carers - /files/LSCB-Pokemon-GO-Advice_Oct-2016_4516.pdf
- NWG Network - http://www.nwgnetwork.org/
- NSPCC - https://www.nspcc.org.uk/
- NSPCC - A parents' guide to being Share Aware - https://www.nspcc.org.uk/search/?query=a+parents+guide+to+being+share+aware
- NSPCC Share Aware - https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/share-aware/
- O2 & NSPCC Online Safety Helpline - http://www.o2.co.uk/help/nspcc/helpline
- SafeToNet - https://safetonet.com/
- SWGFL - Online Safety Guidance for Parents - https://swgfl.org.uk/resources/online-safety-guidance-for-parents/
- Trusted - http://www.trusted2know.co.uk/
- UK Safer Internet Centre - https://www.saferinternet.org.uk/
- UK Safer Internet - Social Media Checklists - https://www.saferinternet.org.uk/advice-centre/teachers-and-school-staff/teaching-resources/social-media-checklists
- UK Safer Internet - So you got naked online - https://www.saferinternet.org.uk/advice-centre/teachers-and-professionals/teaching-resources/sexting-resources
- YPS Child Sexual Exploitation Advice Booklet - this was designed for students by students from St. Augustine's RC High School in Billington, Clitheroe.
Safety in Numbers Leaflet
Please look at this leaflet for lots of useful information about being safe:
Finally if you are still concerned please feel able to contact the school for further help or guidance.